Khairpur, Chakwal

Khairpur is a village and union council, an administrative subdivision, of Chakwal District in the Punjab Province of Pakistan, located in Kahoun valley, the mid of the Salt Range at about 2500 feet elevation, having a moderate climate at latitude 32 43’55.8″,longitude 72 47’29.33″. It is part of Chakwal Tehsil and is also the location of the DG Khan Cement Company, After the creation of New District of Chakwal in 1985, it was detached from Pind Dadan Khan Tehsil of Jhelum District and included into Chakwal. Now village Khairpur is a part of Kallar Kahar Tehsil. Located on the road leading to Choa Saiden Shah 10 Kilometres east of Kallar Kahar motorway interchange, this village of Awan tribe is an old,famous village of Kahoon valley. Apart from the headquarters of Union Council Khairpur, a High School for boys and girls, a Basic Health Unit are there. Agriculture and Army Service are the main profession of the dwellers. Though now the residents of the village are now in other government jobs like teaching, medical, business and other professions. The old name Khardare of this village was changed to Khairpur in 1947. but still it is famous for his old name “Khardher” and the inhabitants of the village love to be called as “Khardher”. Being a martial tribe: enlisted for military recruitment, a number of veterans participated in the First and Second World Wars during the British Raj and fought bravely on different war fronts. It is worth mentioning that Mr. Gulab Din S/O Feteh Din Khardher Sapper of Royal Bombay Sappers fought bravely at Singapur front and died on 25th February 1944. His name is included in the roll of honour for singapur war memorial by the UK Government. A Gallantry Award “Sitar-e-Jurrat” was awarded to Maj. Shah Nawaz Shaheed in 1965 Indo-Pak War. A road in Karachi was named to remember this Hero of CHumb Jorrian Sector.